As the tournament progresses, results will be posted on the website. See left panel for results.
See left panel for all results.
The event was held concurrently with the 2nd World Palindrome Championship, which was held over two days and won by Martin Clear of Sydney, Australia (wrap-up). The Saturday night program included a "Crossword Pub Trivia" game by John Chaneski and Tony Hightower; a report by Matt Ginsberg on Dr. Fill; and presentation of the 2nd "MEmoRiaL" award to Manny Nosowsky, with remarks by Marie Haley and a film tribute to Manny by Patrick Creadon. NBC News filmed the playoffs for a story that aired on April 21. In an exciting "A" division playoff, five-time champion Tyler Hinman finished first, but with a letter wrong ó leaving an opening for Dan Feyer to become ACPT champion for the seventh time.
Capsule history of all previous years.
Pictures from the Tournament
- Don Christensen: Friday Arrivals | Fun & Games | Saturday Judging | Saturday Tournament Day | World Palindrome Championship 2 | Merl Reagle Award | Sunday Talent Show | C Tournament Final | B Tournament Final | A Tournament Final | Prizes and Post-Final |
- Woody Swain: Sketches from the Tournament
Email the webmaster if you want a link to your blog, images, videos, etc. included
Facebook: American Crossword Puzzle Tournament Attendees
- Deb Amlen - Wordplay/The Crossword Blog for the New York Times
- Dan Feyer - ACPT 2017: Back in Business
- Tom Gardner - We Didnít Solve the Puzzle: Musings from the 40th Annual American Crossword Puzzle Tournament
- PuzzleNation - ACPT 2017 Wrap-Up!
- Saturday Night MEmoRiaL honoring Manny Nosowsky
- From Ben Zimmer:
In the News
- The NYTimes Crossword Puzzle: Celebrating 75 Years , NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt [April 21, 2017]
- Meet the Judges Deb Amlen, Wordplay for the NYT [March 27, 2017]
- The 2017 Merl Reagle MEmoRiaL Award Deb Amlen, Wordplay for the NYT [March 25, 2017]
- Where Youíre Not a Senior Until Youíre Eighty Deb Amlen, Wordplay for the NYT [March 25, 2017]
- A Man, A Plan, A Palindrome: Oregonian Mark Saltveit Allison Frost, Sage Van Wing, KUOW [March 23, 2017]
- Stamford Crossword Tournament Still Puzzles Players In 40th Year Tom Renner and Karen Tensa, Stamford Daily Voice [March 23, 2017]
- Pleasantville's Will Shortz's Crossword Tourney Still Puzzles Players Tom Renner and Karen Tensa, Pleasantville Daily Voice [March 22, 2017]
- Pre-Paid Mail-In Ballots - Palindromes - Tides Dave Blanchard and Sage Van Wing, OBP's Think Out Loud [March 22, 2017]
- The 40th American Crossword Puzzle Tournament Runs March 24-26 in Stamford, CT Deb Amlen, New York Times [March 21, 2017]
- As Crosswords Go Digital, Puzzlemaster Will Shortz's Stamford Tourney Endures Frank Rizzo, Connecticut Magazine [March 17, 2017]
- Back to the Family Puzzle Silvia E. Hines, Still Crazy [January, 2017]
The following 63 contestants solved all 7 puzzles with no mistakes.
Ben Aisen, Derek Allen, Christopher Baker, Evan Birnholz, Patrick Blindauer, Marcia Brott, Patty Buethe, Brian Cross, Ken Crowell, Jon Delfin, Marie desJardins, Kyle Dolan, Alexandra Doumani, Alice Dutton, Andrew Feist, Dan Feyer, Brian Fodera, Kristy Gardner, Amy Goldstein, Peter Gordon, Francis Heaney, Tyler Hinman, Chris Hoelck, Susan Hoffman, Grayson Holmes, Will Irving, Alex Jeffrey, Richard Kalustian, Kiran Kedlaya, Jason Keller, Robbie Kubala, Jenni Levy, Frank Longo, Eric Maddy, James Mangold, Phoebe McBee, Brian McCarthy, Martin Miller, Miriam Nadel, Jan O'Sullivan, Joon Pahk, Doug Peterson, David Plotkin, Arnold Reich, Peter Rimkus, Ellen Ripstein, Lisa Rubinow, Dan Sadoff, Al Sanders, Matt Sandler, Deborah Shatten, Thomas Silverstein, David Steinberg, Ken Stern, Roberta Strauss, Steve Tice, Marcus Tonti, Seth Tribble, Melissa Tsai, Jennifer Turney, Kevin Wald, John Wilson, Stella Zawistowski.
Learn more about this year's Puzzlemakers.
Officials — 2017
|Scoring Programmer||Matt Ginsberg|
|Database Preparer||Joe Cabrera|
|Online Tournament Manager||Peter Ritmeester|