See left panel for results.
See left panel for all results.
Puzzle ScansContestant number:
StandingsBy Ranking | Alphabetical | B to E | C to E | D and E | E | Rookies | Juniors | Fifties | Sixties | Seventies | Seniors | West | Connecticut | New England | NYC | Long Island | Upstate NY | New Jersey | Mid-Atlantic | South | Midwest | Foreign For Techies
Pictures from the Tournament
- Don Christensen: People | Friday | Saturday | Judging and Tech Rooms | Sunday Talent Show | Sunday C and B Finals | Sunday A Finals
In the News
- This Puzzle Is a Battle, Sam Ezersky, The New York Times [April 19, 2023]
- A weekend among the gods at America’s premier crossword competition, Oliver Roeder, Financial Times - subscription required [April 15, 2023]
- Cryptic clues lost in translation across the Pond, Mick Hodgkin, The Times of London - subscription required [April 7, 2023]
- Puzzle-solvers gather in Stamford for large crossword puzzle tournament, News Staff, WABC-TV New York [April 4, 2023]
- In Photos: Dan Feyer wins ninth American Crossword Puzzle Tournament title, Tyler Sizemore/Hearst Connecticut Media, Stamford Advocate [April 2, 2023]
- 45th American Crossword Puzzle Tournament held in Stamford, News 12 Staff, News 12 Connecticut [April 1, 2023]
- A Knack for Wordplay and Kindness Is Rewarded, Deb Amlen, The New York Times [March 30, 2023]
- IU alum Will Shortz donates childhood property to Crawfordsville for new nature park, Jill Bond, The Herald-Times [March 29, 2023]
- American Crossword Puzzle Tournament returns to Stamford, Phil Hall, Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals [March 29, 2023]
- Stamford to Host World's Largest Crossword Puzzle Tournament, Laura Soll, Community Contributor, Patch [March 28, 2023]
- Meet Oregon’s competitors in the 2023 American Crossword Puzzle Tournament, Janet Eastman, The Oregonian/OregonLive [March 27, 2023]
- A clue to solving crossword puzzles: Have fun, say Oregon experts, Janet Eastman, The Oregonian/OregonLive [March 27, 2023]
A record 774 contestants. Games World of Puzzles magazine sponsored the tournament for the first time. The first prize was increased to $7,000. Lisa Saltzman awarded the new Muriel Saltzman Prize of $2,000 in each of the five age categories. On Friday night Adam Wagner conducted an Anigrams contest on people's smartphones. Mick Hodgkin, puzzles editor of The Times of London, spoke and led a Times cryptic crossword contest. On Saturday night Stan Newman led "Bar Trivia." Rich Norris, joining by Zoom, received the Merl MEmoRiaL Award for lifetime achievement in crossword construction. The ceremony included a film interview by Zach Sherwin. Dan Feyer won the tournament for the ninth time, beating Paolo Pasco in the playoff by one second.
Capsule history of all previous years.
The following 85 contestants solved all 7 puzzles with no mistakes.
Sue Adams, Derek Allen, Richard Allen, Laura Bauer, John Beck, Michael Berman, Julie Bernhardt, Matthew Besse, Chelsea Blink, Joseph Bockskopf, Jonathon Brown, Gavin Byrnes, Catherine Cevoli, Kevan Choset, Brian Cross, Ken Crowell, Jon Delfin, Adam Doctoroff, Sam Donaldson, Alexandra Doumani, Evan Druce, David Eckert, Andrew Esten, Steve Feldman, Dan Feyer, Stephen Fineman, Jeff Frank, Michael Gilch, Gabriel Gonzalez, Randy Guggenheimer, Craig Harman, Erich Harrison, Sara Heard, Tyler Hinman, Evan Jenkins, Jason Keller, Josh Knapp, Hannah Krug, Max Kurzman, Jenna LaFleur, Jesse Lansner, Robert LaRose, Joe Longa, John Longmire, Bret Martin, Karenna Martin, Aaron Mead, Ada Nicolle, Stephanie Olcott, Dan O'Rourke, Ronald Osher, Jan O'Sullivan, David Park, Paolo Pasco, Doug Peterson, Greg Peterson, David Plotkin, Ric Quiñones, Arnold Reich, Claire Rimkus, Peter Rimkus, Christopher Ross, Jennifer Roth, Dan Sadoff, Al Sanders, Matt Sandler, Dan Schwartz, Jeffrey Schwartz, Rocky Schwarz, Miriam Sicherman, Addison Snell, Ken Stern, Roberta Strauss, Vega Subramaniam, Andrew Sullivan, Alexia Tate, Jen Thatcher, Jennifer Turney, Finn Vigeland, Nikolas Wada, Lawrence Wasser, Katie Weir, Thomas Weisswange, John Wilson, Stella Zawistowski.
Constructors and OfficialsPhoto Gallery of Constructors and Officials
Constructors — 2023
Constructors are listed alphabetically
- Kevin Christian
- Kameron Austin Collins
- Sam Ezersky
- Joel Fagliano
- Christina Iverson
- Lynn Lempel
- Andrea Carla Michaels
- Mike Shenk
- Robyn Weintraub
Officials — 2023
|Will Shortz||Tournament Director|
|Michael Smith||Tournament Coordinator|
|Nancy Parsons||Lead Tech Team and Webmaster|
|Mike Nothnagel||Lead Judge|
|Dave Sullivan||Virtual Tournament Manager|
|John Temple and Amuse Labs||Virtual Tournament Tech|
|Peter Ritmeester||Online Solving Tech|
|Greg Pliska and Ophira Eisenberg||Playoff Announcers|
Contact [email protected] to have your videos, photos, blogs, twitters, etc. listed.